Cone Beam 3D imaging is a breakthrough diagnostic tool in dentistry using the latest technology. The use of the cone shaped x-ray beam allows a dramatic reduction in the radiation dosage produced during the scan, making it fast, effective and simple.
The 3D Cone Beam Imaging system is basically a digital x-ray scanner mounted on a rotating arm. It uses digital technology to record images.
At The Dental Centre we use the Galileous 3D imaging system. To take the scan, you are seated in a chair while the scanner moves in one complete circle around your head, scanning and gathering data, taking about 200 images. The computer then takes about 2-3 minutes to reconstruct the data in order to provide your dentist with high-resolution images.
From this data, the image can be manipulated to show various views of your mouth from 2D, OPG’s to 3D rotating views from any angle and in different magnifications, to see the relationships between your bones, jaw joints, teeth, airways, nerves and tissues. This is beneficial to planning an appropriate course of treatment for you.
3D Cone Beam imaging will produce the same high-quality standard of images as a CT scan, but uses less radiation to do so.
3D Cone Beam Imaging has many advantages:
- Quick, simple, completely painless
- Lower radiation dose than a CT scan.
- A virtually infinite number of views from one 14 second scan.
- A more precise look at the positioning and relationship of teeth and nerves within the jaw
- Makes treatment planning more accurate due to the maximum diagnostic information available.
The 3D imaging provides data making treatment more efficient for:
- Dental implants
- Wisdom teeth extractions
- Impacted teeth
- TMJ treatment
- Airway assessments and sleep apnoea
- Jaw Images
- Sinus assessment